NY City fun, a train ride back, then a quiet walk to the next town... Fort Montgomery, NY AT Mile 785.7 August 19, 2009


Andrew had a really fun time in NYC, and enjoyed surprising his friends. Kelly's reaction was priceless! The friends played really hard, and he sounded tired on the train ride back to Pawling, NY, late Sunday.

His trail buddy, Brunch, called him Sunday morning, and met him in NYC about lunch time. Brunch told Andrew he had decided he was going to get off the trail. Originally he and Andrew were going to meet back at the Shelter outside of Pawling, but Sunday night Andrew hiked it alone. Brunch said he was no longer enjoying his hike, so it was time to return home, college classes were starting back up, so it was a good time. Brunch brought Andrew "some trail magic" and gave him the food he'd bought since he was on his way home. Andrew wasn't able walk to a good place to resupply so he appreciated the trail kindness. Brunch - if you read this - email me and I'll bake you a batch of cookies as a "thank you".

Andrew shared with me that it was hard heading out Monday when plans changed, but by lunch he was feeling better, and by night fall he had fallen back into the
rhythm of the trail. Tuesday morning he woke up ready to go, and glad to be back on his journey. I asked did he still want to continue hiking, and he said "definitely!" He said, "I'm not finished with the trail, and the trail is not finished with me."


Today, the trail cut thru town, so Andrew was quick to make his mail pick- up, have a Bar-b-que lunch, a quick call home then on his way toward Unionville, NY. He should make Unionville before the PO closes on Sat. the 22nd. He laughed, and said he "blew out another pair of liner socks" and realized the next resupply town was probably up to a week away. One thing about Andrew, he is resourceful and I'm sure he'll make-do! :-)

Happy Summer Days,
Mom / Harriet

1 comment:

  1. Zombie, You do not know me. I was visiting my daughter in her new apartment in Greenville, SC last weekend. Her roomate had a visitor. When I told her I was from NY she said her nephew was just in NY and is hiking the AT. Her name is Meghan Lewis. Being an avid AT section hiker (thru-hiker wannabe in 2010 or 2011) I asked all about your trip and she gave me your blog address. I have enjoyed reading about your walk. I think I must have just missed you while hiking on Glastenbury Mtn in VT last month. Good luck with your SOBO!!

    Chenango

    http://www.trailjournals.com/Chenango

    ReplyDelete