Journal July 2, 2009 (Thurs.) Trail Day 23 (AT Mile 247.1 - 250.5)

It seems as I have been hitting towns like it's my job. It is too much; going into towns kills the desire to hike and it keeps you from getting into a good hiking pattern. First, there was the extra night in Stratton, then a short hpe to Rangeley (got in on the 4th day out of Stratton), then today, Brunch and I went into Andover for mail and resupply to get us to Gorham, NH. After Gorham, I'm not going into a town until I've done 70 - 100 miles. Besides, towns cost money and are filled with "To-Do Lists".

For example:
Hiking Day To Do List
  • Hike
  • Eat
  • Get to the Shelter
  • Sleep

Town To Do List
  • Get to Hostel
  • Buy Food
  • Check Mail
  • Get Cash
  • Laundry
  • Forward Bump Box
  • Find Places to eat
  • Pay for everything
  • E-mail / call people
  • no hiking

See what I mean? Hiking is my job and towns are the chores done on the week-end. I don't know why people hike the AT to escape real life - I'm out here so I don't have to pay taxes... J K!
The government will still find a way to tax the homeless and unemployed folks (as a minimum, there is sales tax anyway)

The rain is still coming, but we're almost out of Maine, 30 miles to go baby! I found a good quote in the register here @ Hall Mt. Lean-to. "I wish I had an intertube, it would make the trail go by a whole lot faster. - Lost Rob" It is so true at this point, but New Hampshire is going through the same (weather) stuff apparently.

I met a NoBo in Rangeley named "Easy Going". He was the nicest NoBo yet. He is only carrying 10-20 lbs. TOTAL! That includes food & water! Crazy! But he really earned his name. A lot of North bounders so far, have been pretty stuck-up on themselves and are kinda - or just down right - rude to SoBo's when we talk about the trail. We get it...you've been doing this for longer, get over yourself! But Easy Going ws cool, and let us talk about trail conditions without belittling us.

Yesterday I came up with two great ideas: 1) Create a hiker's cookbook with nutrition information in it and 2) Kelly's trail name is "Ground Support". (I know Mom has done a lot too, so her trail name can be "Mom".) Because Kelly has done soooo much to help out and I decided she needed a trail name because it is almost like she is here. (Just without the pretty face, good laughs, and constant companionship.) The Cookbook's name? Zombie & Ground Support's Thru-Hike CookBook.

I like the sound of "Zombie & Ground Support". So I hope Kelly likes it, 'cause she's stuck with it.
Well enough for one night,
Zombie

P.S. I'm past 3 weeks, and am starting to feel in hiker shape!

No comments:

Post a Comment