Journal July 16, 2009 (Thurs.) Trail Days 32 - 37 (AT Mile 337.8 - 397.4)

On Monday evening (the 13th) I made it to Chet's, which is a Hostel run by a guy named Chet (go figure). He lets people stay for either a donation, work-for-stay, or barter, what ever you think is fair. Chet is an amazing guy. In 2001 he was preparing for his Thru-Hike, when his camp stove exploded. He suffered burns on 45% of his body, including damage to his mouth, throat, and lungs due to inhaling the flames. He had no insurance and spent 8 months in a drug-induced coma while recovering from the burns. During his coma, he went thru multiple organ failures, but recovered from each one. The doctors gave him almost 0% chance of survival. After he came out of his coma (because the pain was so great) he had severe muscular atrophy. He had to relearn how to do everything from nod his head to eat with his hands. He still does not have full use of his legs. However, he still wants to be part of the hiker community, so he opened a Hostel.

Chet was such a great guy, that I decided to take an extra day off and hang around Lincoln. I got to see a movie in the theater. Brunch, Buffalo and I saw The Transformers with two other SoBos we had met at Chet's, "Happy Feet" and "Navajo". When it came time to leave Lincoln, Buffalo and I headed out, while Brunch stayed behind due to sores on his feet from grit rubbing away his skin.

Today marks "A Big Event!" I finished the White Mountains!!! I can't believe it! In 3 or 4 days I will be out of New Hampshire, and done with 2 of the hardest states! I hiked from the Mahoosuc Mountains in Maine to the Moosilauke (or Mt. Moosaholic as Buffalo calls it) in 12 days. All the while, the weather was almost always nice! What a treat it has been to hike this last section! "The Whites" will always have a place in my heart because of all the wonderful views and hiking that I had. It was truly a gift that many people do not get to have. I also went above the tree line for the last time on the trail. It is kind of sad, but from now on, views will be rare and found only in the gaps between the trees, on rocky outcrops, or atop the mountain balds.
So long, Whites!
Hello Green Mountains!
Zombie

No comments:

Post a Comment