Journal August 11, 2009 (Tues.) Trail Day 63


I made it to Pawling, NY today. That's right, I didn't even get a Journal Entry in for Connecticut. Connecticut is only 53 miles and I knocked it out in 3 days. The terrain has gotten flat and lower elevations, which means more bugs!!!

The last week has gone by so slowly because I have been waiting to get to New York City so I can surprise Ground Support. She is visiting some of our friends, and two weeks ago I realized I could make it there in time. The only catch was I had to slow down! C'est Le Vie.

Right now I am sitting in a Park Pavillion in Pawling waiting for tomorrow to come so I can take a train to NYC! So start spreading the news.... I'm excited to see her, our friends and "The City". I'll be in a big city without a map, with no guidebook, and NO white BLAZES! What's a Thru-Hiker to do? I had some "normal" clothes sent to Pawling so I wouldn't look completely homeless, but judging by the register entries in the shelter last night, I'm not the first Through-Hiker to take "a side trip" into The Big Apple. Did somebody say "food"???

Hard to believe, I have been on the trail for 2 months now, and for the last 3 weeks I've been hiking by myself. It has been nice at times, but there have been times where it would have been nice to hike with another SoBo. It will be interesting to see who will pass me in the next 5 days while I am off the trail.

The solitude has given me a lot of time to think and I wonder if I have changed in the last two months? And if so, how much? It's hard for me to see any change because it is such a gradual process, but I wonder if Kelly will see it, or other people will see it? I also wonder what I will be like in the next 3-4 months. I definitely don't want to rush this trip. I have found I don't like back-to-back 20+ mile days. I do like meeting new people in the shelters, towns and hostels. One thing I have realized is that I don't feel like I've been out here for 2 months - it only feels like a week or so. I have gotten used to the life on the trail and it feels weird getting back into "civilized" life.

Well, enough ramblings for now.
'Night,
Zombie

No comments:

Post a Comment