Journal July 4 - 9, 2009 Trail Days 25 - 30 (AT MILES 264.5 - 326.9)


So it has been a while... Sorry about that. Long days and busy town stops. I'll try to catch up as much as possible... Mom may have filled you in some from the times I called home, but I still want to journal my own accounts...

July 4: Brunch and I did the Mahoosuc Notch on one of the coldest days yet. Why is this journal worthy? The Mahoosuc Notch is "THE TOUGHEST MILE" on the entire Appalachian Trail. It is one mile of crawling, climbing, squirming, sliding and anything other than hiking. There are boulders the size of houses (or bigger!!!) and I did it in an amazing 2.5 hours!!! We saw ICE! Got rained on and froze the whole way! It would have been a lot of fun if it were better weather. I only got a few pictures because of the rain. On the positive side, I saw a moose! Unfortunately, it was dead. About 3 years ago, a moose got stuck in the Notch and broke it's leg or neck or something and couldn't get out, so it died. There were only a few bones that remained.



July 5: Woke up to the coldest, windiest, wettest day yet. All my hiking clothes were wet from doing "The Notch" and that was a bad way to start the day. When Brunch and I were going over Goose Eye Mountain in the morning, it was in the low 40's with wind blowing 30-40 mph. Then we crossed into NEW HAMPSHIRE!! Where more rain and fog awaited for about 4-5 miles. At last, the sun came out and the sky cleared up and life was good!!! To which I then saw my second dead moose! in two days! This one was slightly fresher and there were more bones left in tact. (Yes, I did take pictures of my two moose sightings... even tho they were just carcases that remained to be seen.) The day finished up with some good views of the White Mountains and Gorham, NH. I camped out and for the frist time this trip, enjoyed it! I saw the moon for the second or third time, and enjoyed seeing the stars. It was a much needed morale boost!!!

July 6: Got into Gorham, NH and stayed at "The Barn". Brunch and I decided to celebrate in town for finishing our first state. (Only 13 to go!)

July 7: Took a Zero Day for the first time since Monson.

July 8: Decided to SlackPack the Wildcats/ Carter/ Moriah Mountains North Bound. Brunch and I hiked with an older guy (73 I think) who Thru-Hiked in 1976. He was doing it again, and again. His name was Watchman. All 3 of us hiked from Pinkham Notch to US2 and did 21 hard miles. I was glad I did it because it knocked off a day. We also moved over to The White B irches Hostel because the lady at The Barn was not friendly. The White Birches was $7 less and had more services.

July 9: Headed to Pinkham Notch to start hiking in the right direction again. I climbed the first Presidential Mountain, Mt. Madison. The weather today was PERFECT! Cool, clear, sunny...PERFECT!!! Mt. Madison had some great views and I got a preview of Mt. Washington. Tomorrow is suppose to be even better! I stayed at my first hut and it was cool.



We'll see if the other huts have staff this nice. Well, you're all caught up. Let's hope for a good summit up Mt. Washington tomorrow. I had my first sunset of the trip tonight! Nice!!!
Good night all,
Zombie

No comments:

Post a Comment