HELLO VIRGINIA!!! 4 states, 51.4 miles, 22 hours 12 minutes.... in ONE day!!!


AT Mile 1,174.1 Sept 9th 4:46 a.m. - Sept 10th 2:58 a.m.

HE DID IT :-) !!!!!
Zombie Andrew probably feels like a 'zombie' right about now, but he did exactly what he set out to do (I knew he would!!!) There is a 44- mile stretch of trail where it is possible to hike 4 states in a day... Andrew challenged Root beer Float that if they were to do 44 miles, why stop short? Make it a 50-mile day! And by-golly-they-did-it! I can't wait to read his journal pages to recount the day.


The ATC link was not working right this morning, so I could not confirm his stopping point, but Andrew should be at the David Lesser Memorial Shelter at AT mile 1174.1 Tuesday night, Andrew had crossed into Maryland. Yesterday (Wed.) at 4:46 a.m. his "Spot" message was just inside PA. So he had to have hiked back northbound to be on the PA/ MD state line. I kept waiting to see the next "Spot" transmission e-mail but didn't see it till this morning (Thursday). If I had gone to the Spot Link Page I would have seen he had the beeper on, transmitting all along the trail yesterday. I went to bed thinking, he's probably still walking... but there have been times his transmitted signal didn't send the e-mail. Regardless, I felt confident "no news was good news." So I was thrilled to see his "Spot message" on my e-mail this morning. (click the link "Where am I" and you will see the Spot transmissions.)

Andrew's next town day will be in Winchester, VA paying a short visit to see "Ground Support" aka, Kelly. I sent her a text to be sure she had lots of ice in the freezer so he could soak his sore feet :-).

Since Andrew hiked thru Harper's Ferry, WV in the middle of the night, he'll ride back there to check-in at the ATC Headquarters, sign the register, and get his picture taken. The ATC website said there are only about 5oo known SoBo hikers that have completed the whole AT, so I think they are about to meet Mr. 501. (most AT hikers go NoBo... you can click the ATC link on his blog to read their stats on a thru-hike.)

Andrew, when you read this, listen for all the cheers!!!! I know we are all excited for you that you accomplished what you set out to do. I sent you a little extra money in your Harpers Ferry mail drop, so eat a good steak, add an extra pint of Ben and Jerry's ice cream (1,200 calories worth) to your breakfast cereal, and fuel up... you are only 1,002.1 miles away from Springer Mountain, GA! I finished the "Trail Ways, Path Wise" book by John Illig that you sent home, so from that, I suppose you'll be counting DOWN from here. Regardless how many miles you hike, we're excited for you son!

Beaming ! Mom/ Harriet with Dad/ Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment