Journal June 24, 2009 Trail Day 15 (Wed.)




What a LONG day!

17 miles & the first big mountain since White Cap. I hiked up & over the Bigelow Mtns. Little Bigelow -> Avery Peak -> West Bigelow -> South Horn. This is when the mountains really start! North Bounders call this their "last mountain" but there are a few between here and Mt. K. I had some good & crummy views today. Got rained on 3 times & haven't had dry feet since Monson, but it's a BLAST! I met some people who were out for a 3-day hike. They were nice & surprised that I was headed to the place they had left earlier that day. (It was ~3mpish & I had 7 miles to go). Stayed @ Horn Pond Lean-tos with Pirate, Owl (aka Brunch), Professor, +1, Clown Shoes, Aloe Bar, BK, and Snacks (twins). All people I have been following in trail journals since I started. All but Professor are spending the night in Stratton. I need to list out some pictures, but will do that in town.
Time for much needed rest!
Zombie

P.S. Horns Pond is a cool site b.c it's a sub-Alpine zone w/ a caretaker & it's a fragile environment so they compost all the privy waste & the privies don't smell. Amazing what will fascinate a thru-hiker.

Pictures:
Avery Peak from Little Bigelow Mtn. (mi. 174.2)
Avery Peak Plaque (mi. 179.4)
Horns Pond Overlook (mi. 183)

Yes, for the easy to amuse, and curious: Eco-friendly privies :-)
(mi. 182.7)

No comments:

Post a Comment