AT Mile 187.0. June 25th, Stratton, ME

Andrew made it to Stratton, ME. Dad Chris and I(Mom, Harriet) were excited to chat and catch up with our AT Hiker Thursday night. He and Joe were planning on leaving the next day, after the mail arrived, but about 4 miles out Friday afternoon, they encountered a BIG hail storm with lots of lightening & hard blowing wind, so they returned to Stratton to leave once again, early Saturday. We were glad they were able to wait out the storm in a REAL shelter, in town... Joe and Andrew met a set of twins and another guy their age in Stratton, that are also SOBO, so this group of five set will out to hike together for a while.

Andrew sounds really happy, and is enjoying the trip! He appreciates the e-mails, I originally printed them and mailed them, now I know to forward future e-mails that I receive for him. It had rained a lot between Monson and Stratton... hoping this week has a bit more sun shine. The next town stop is Rangely to pick up groceries only, then on to Andover, ME for his next mail pick-up.

Andrew enjoyed getting my package from home when he arrived in Monson... I wanted to send something special as a 'Congratulations! You made it thru the 100 mile Wilderness!' He laughed and said I sent too many cookies, so he shared them with everyone staying there. They call unexpected surprises and acts of kindness "Trail Magic." A few days later, he ran into Hikers that had been in Monson saying "Hey, we know you! You're the Cookie Man!!!" I teased him that I thought Cookie Man might be an easier 'Trail Name' than Light Headed Zombie so I edited the side section ... we'll see if he edits it back... :-).

We appreciate all the prayers and encouragements you've shared with us for Andrew.
With thanks,
Mom, Harriet

No comments:

Post a Comment