Zero Day

So I made it out of the 115 mile stretch. I am staying in Monson, Maine until Saturday morning and then headed South! I had such a blast in the 100 mile wilderness and can't wait to see what the rest of the trail has to offer. I am relatively pain free and think I am fairing better than most of the other hikers. I sent my journal pages home with a list and description of all my pictures. Mom sent me a gazillion cookies and everybody here loves them. It is raining today and I think supposed to rain tomorrow, but no worries, it's part of the experience. I am beyond myself right now because I just can't believe this trip is happening. I have wanted and waited for so long, and now it is here. When I got to the top of Katadhin, I teared up a little bit because I couldn't believe I had finally started my trip. I let out a big holler, which was quickly absorbed by the wind and misty fog I was surrounded in, sent a Spot Check-in from the peak, took a picture and then headed down. I was only wearing shorts and a rain jacket and I think it was probably 25-30 oF with wind chill. Thanks to everybody who sent e-mail, keep 'em coming and I will keep sending in pictures and journal pages. I love my new camera and have gotten some great pictures with it. I think it will be great if I keep averaging 1 picture per mile. I am trying to put together some good panoramic views, but won't find out how those turn out until I get home. I have been homesick at times and miss everybody, but am also having a blast. The trail culture is so welcoming to everybody and the folks in Maine are "wicked" nice (as the southern Mainers would say - I think they stole it from New Hampshire). Every time I press the check-in button I feel like I am saying "hi" to my family. Well off to do some more chores and get ready to leave Monson early tomorrow. I think we're pushing for a 18 miler (we'll see what the weather does). Stratton in 6-7 days!

Happy trails,

Light Headed Zombie

No comments:

Post a Comment